Beach party downtown offers art fair, music, more | Arts & Culture
The city's third downtown Middleton Beach Party will take place on Parmenter Street and Hubbard Avenue Saturday, organizers said.
Music, art and beer will highlight the 9 a.m.-4 p.m. event, according to the Downtown Middleton Business Association, which hosts the annual event.
Marilyn Burke, association president, said the streets are shut down for the day and two truckloads of sand are delivered for the "beach" party to build a sand volleyball court and a sand pile for the kids.
Also part of the party on Hubbard Avenue is an art fair, which will be comprised of about 30 vendors, the DMBA said.
Beer tents will feature Middleton's Capital Brewery beer and music from WheelHouse, an Americana band made up of members from the Mighty Short Bus and the Lucas Cates Band.
Children’s activities include digging for money in sand piles, face painting by Walgreens, a balloon man and much more. Horse and wagon rides will run from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m.
Children’s activities include face painting, balloons, a sand-digging game and more.
Burke said organizers bury coins in the sand pile for the kids, and the young ones spend the day digging for nickels, a popular attraction.
Downtown Middleton businesses will also offer sidewalk sales and specials.
In addition to the Beach Party theme, it is also an appreciation event for emergency service workers, organizers said. The Service Appreciation Day is an opportunity to say thanks to Middleton police, EMS and fire departments, Burke said.
The police department will defend its title in the annual volleyball contest between the departments, the business group said.
Organizers said parts of Parmenter Street, Hubbard Avenue, Aurora and Elmwood will be closed Saturday to accomodate the beach party. According to the business association, the free event will proceed, rain or shine.
-IF YOU GO-
- WHAT: Beach Party & Service Appreciation Day
- WHERE: Downtown on Parmenter Street and Hubbard Avenue
- WHEN: Saturday, June 15, 9 a.m.-4 p.m.
- COST: Free
- Art Fair on Hubbard Avenue: 9 a.m.-4 p.m.
- Mighty Short Bus/WheelHouse/Roots Rock Country Soul: Noon-4 p.m.
- Kids' sand dig: 9 a.m.-4 p.m.
- Horse and wagon rides: 10 a.m.-2 p.m.
- Kids' face painting, balloon artist: 11 a.m.-2 p.m.
- Capitol Brewery beer caddy and wine stand: Noon-4 p.m.
- Sidewalk sales: 10 a.m.-5 p.m.
- Restaurant specials: 10 a.m.-4 p.m.
- Special representation from police, EMS, and fire departments: Noon-3 p.m.
- Volleyball tournament between service groups: 12:30 p.m.-4 p.m.